Job ID: 289533958
Last Updated: 2/27/2018
UC Davis Medical Oncologist opportunity located in the heart of the fertile Sacramento Valley in CA
Rideout Health/UC Davis Cancer Center
Outreach Physician Recruiter
The physician will perform all the duties of a medical oncologist. The physician will see patients at a UC Davis Health Cancer Care Network site, predominantly at the Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center in Marysville/Yuba City, CA. On occasion, when the Division has extreme need the physician may be asked to attend patients with doctors in training at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center and UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. In addition, physician may engage in additional clinical duties and responsibilities as are mutually agreed upon. Notice will be given to physician and the clinic coordinator at the site so that the schedule can be appropriately adjusted. However, its the expectation that incumbent will be available for this coverage.
During the day, the physician will see patients in the office and evaluate and initiate therapy for those patients. The practice will be limited to patients with hematological or cancer related problems. On average, physician may see 10-20 patients per 8-hour day. Physician will admit and follow patients in the hospital when the need arises; answer any phone calls from patients or physicians after hours on a rotating call schedule. In addition, the physician will perform procedures such as bone marrow biopsies as needed for patients in the Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center when the need arises; and direct chemotherapy administration to patients in the Cancer Center. Incumbent may admit inpatient chemotherapy only admissions/discharges to Rideout Health Medical Center as needed, and is responsible for notification to the hospital, as well as for the provision of chemotherapy orders.
Physician is expected to be on-site and prepared to see patients at the opening of the cancer center. The Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center site hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and the physician is expected to be available anytime patients are present for treatment.
The physician's time will be allocated as follows:
80% attending home network site cancer patients
10% other attending duties
10% administrative, education and training activities
The physician is encouraged to attend and participate in the following medical meetings:
Hematology/Oncology faculty meetings, when physically practical
Annual Hem/Onc Update
Hospital or Cancer Center Committees, as needed and assigned
Mega Rounds and Journal Club, when physically practical
Local hospital Tumor Boards
UC Davis Tumor Boards, when able
Cancer Care Network Annual Symposium
When seeing patients at the Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center Site, the physician will oversee the work of a nurse and/or medical assistant. In addition, the physician will oversee the operation of the Infusion Room who are actually administering the chemotherapy.
The incumbent may also be responsible for teaching the art and science of hematology/oncology to post-doctoral scholars at the UC Davis Cancer Center, will be required to participate and enroll patients onto clinical trials, and be an active participant in Division activities to the extent possible by location.
Evaluation of acceptable performance will be based on the following:
1. Timeliness of medical records completion
2. Participation in medical staff activities at the Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center site and UC Davis Health
3. Participation in clinical trials
4. Peer review evaluations
5. Patient satisfaction surveys
6. Participation at Tumor Board and Cancer Committee at the Network site, where applicable
7. Generation of acceptable levels of RVUs per year. Benchmark MGMA/AGMA
8. Malpractice history
Minimum qualifications: In addition to such other University policies and procedures as may be applicable, the Employee shall, during the term of this appointment, meet and maintain the following qualifications:
1. Employee shall maintain a current license to practice medicine in the State of California;
2. Employee shall have completed a medical internship at an accredited institution, completed a residency program in Internal Medicine at an accredited institution, and completed a medical fellowship in Hematology and/or Oncology;
3. Employee must be Board Certified in Internal Medicine, and Board Certified in Hematology and/or Medical Oncology within 2 years of accepting the position;
4. Employee shall have possession of a valid California medical license and DEA license at the time of appointment;
5. Employee shall be an active member in good standing with full privileges of the Medical Staff of the University of California, Davis Medical Center (UCDMC) or other hospitals where work is assigned by the Division Chief;
6. Employee shall maintain a volunteer clinical faculty appointment;
7. Employee shall maintain a federal DEA license without restrictions, to the extent necessary to render professional medical services pursuant to the job duties and responsibilities;
8 Employee shall maintain the ability to render professional medical services, unimpaired by drug or alcohol use, injury, illness or mental incompetence, subject to the Universitys obligations and the state law concerning discrimination on the basis of disability, to the extent applicable;
9.Employee must abide by the UCD Health Science Campus Professional Fee Billing Compliance Plan;
10. Employee shall have knowledge of scientific research methods, and certification of federal guidelines related to conducting clinical trials;
11. Employee shall have knowledge of quality assurance procedures;
12. Employee shall have excellent verbal and written communications skills;
13. Employee shall have adequate computer skills to perform job duties and responsibilities;
14. Employee shall have effective patient care bedside manner;
15. Employee will maintain passing scores on the annual UCDHS clinical trial exam.
16. Employee shall work collaboratively with community-based physicians, act as a representative of the UC Cancer Center through active participation on the local Tumor Board, Cancer Committee, and other medical staff committees as required.
He/she will be expected to familiarize himself with all IRB approved protocols available at the Rideout Health UC Davis Cancer Center and be prepared to discuss them with appropriate patients.
Failure to maintain these qualifications will lead to immediate termination of the Employment contract.
UC Davis Health System is improving lives and transforming health care by providing excellent patient care, conducting groundbreaking research, fostering innovative, interprofessional education, and creating dynamic, productive partnerships with the community. A career at UC Davis Health System means being a part of something extraordinary: an internationally respected institution that improves lives and transforms health care, at home and around the globe. We are committed to attracting, retaining, developing and rewarding talented and diverse staff and faculty that bring national and international distinction to UC Davis Health System.
In addition to the distinction of being part of one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions in higher education, University of California offers employees exceptionally attractive employment packages in many instances offering benefits, services and opportunities that other employers cant match.
View Full Employer Profile